I occasionally write + speak about remote work, managing remotely, and onboarding into remote teams.
You can check out my Lead Dev talk on hiring Junior remote engineers here.
Remote Work blog posts
You can read some of my Remote Work blog content below, or following this link (it opens a new tab).
- Hybrid is coming – how do I make meetings inclusive for remote workers in hybrid setups?If one of us is working from home, everyone is remote.
- Remote work is not a catch-all excuse for bad team communications.When you have offices, a lot of your communication happens face to face, and most of those interactions aren’t documented anywhere. Jeff said “paint the walls red”, and Anna’s team did exactly that. If this […]
- On experiments and improving our release cycles[This post was originally published in Q1 2020] A few weeks ago I killed one of my own experimental attempts to fix how we work, and replaced it with a different one, adjusting for the […]
- Building product development processes.Early in my career, I used to think process was something people introduced because they were bored and had nothing better to do apart from bothering us, the productive, bread winning devs that built the […]
- Open offices are not for everyone.There’s this common statement about remote work: “Remote isn’t for everyone.” Yes, I believe that’s absolutely true. I also believe very strongly that shared offices are not for everyone, either. Even offices with doors that […]
- Remote developers need to grow in remote organizationsIntro. Most companies and teams know the benefits and the need to hire junior engineers; after all, that’s where seniors come from. While that’s true for many companies, for many remote leaders or folks who […]
- Challenges of remote workI’m a huge fan of remote work. It’d be hard to convince me to take a role where I need to go to an office every day. Even as a remote work believer, there are […]